Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Starting a blog for Collin...

Okay, so a good friend of mine at work has a daughter that just adopted a little boy from Russia. Her daughter is from Houston, TX, but she and her husband are currently living in Calgary, Canada. So, what does this have to do with anything?? Well, in order to keep their friends and family updated on the progress of the adoption (and the many trips to Russia) she started a "blog." Not only did the blog serve as an update to friends and family, it's also something that she will be able to show her son when he is older. Because he is only 2 years old, it is likely that he will not even remember living in Russia or the orphanage. During the last several months I've kept up with her blog and even got a little emotional reading some of the wonderful things she shared about their new son (you would think I actually know her, but I only know her mom!). :) After becoming so involved in their lives I thought it would be a really great idea to start my own blog for my family and friends that don't live near us. What a great way for them to see pictures and read new adventures and milestones about Collin. It's also something that I can show Collin years from now and let him read all the wonderful stories about his days as a baby.

So, here goes....

Collin will be 6 months old next week. What an amazing journey this has been so far. I never imagined I could love some little (well, he is actually a BIG 26 pounds!) human as much as I love him. He is the sweetest, loving baby. He is so affectionate and loves to be held and cuddled. Each morning he wakes up smiling and giggling...I wonder how long that will last?? I am just waiting on the day that he wakes up and gives me a scowl because he isn't ready to get out of bed! It truly brightens my day to see him smiling so big each morning. What really amazes me is that even when I am frustrated (which I am sure he can sense) he gives me this big, toothless smile from ear to ear and I can't help but smile (and feel guilty for being frustrated!).

I often find myself browsing through the pictures from the day he was born. What a cute baby boy! I can't believe how much he's changed. His personality is really starting to develop and show. I am not sure, but I think he might be a "jokester" when he gets a little older. He loves to do little silly things and laugh at himself. When he is laying on the bed he will pull the sheet up to his face and then move it...then he just cracks up laughing. I have a mirror in the backseat of the car that faces him when he is in his car seat. Some days I will turn around and it's as if he is admiring himself -- wonder who he got that from?? He loves to smile at himself and will try to reach out and touch the mirror.

I can't believe how fast time is flying! My little boy is getting bigger and bigger everyday. He is becoming more and more independent. I remember thinking a few months ago how happy I would be when he could finally hold his own bottle, walk, give himself a bath, etc. But, now as that time gets closer and closer I realize just how much I will miss being able to rock him to sleep in my arms. How much I will crave the opportunity to just lay next to him in bed and cuddle with him while he is sleeping. I will miss being able to carry him and kiss him every 5 seconds while we are walking out to the car or through the house. I will miss how excited he gets when I walk through the door at his daycare to pick him up. I remember some of the best advice someone gave me when he was first born. They told me that a lot of people would tell me not to hold him all the time. But their advice to me was to hold him AS MUCH as I possibly could because one day he would be too big to hold. And even if he wasn't too big, he would be too "independent" and not want me to hold him. "They are only that size for a little while, so enjoy every second of it," they said. And while I know some people may say that Collin is spoiled and likes to have too much attention, that is okay with me! I am happy to give him all of my attention because one day I know I won't be the woman he wants attention from!

Well, I guess I better get some work done. I just thought I would share some things with everyone. I will post more updates later.

Love,

Courtney

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to keep everyone posted on that sweet baby boy! One of these days, we'll see him in person. Love you all -- Grandma Harris