We've all known that Collin was born bigger than a lot of babies -- weighing in at 10 pounds 4 ounces, he was the biggest baby in the hospital at the time of his delivery. Every nurse, doctor or visitor we had during our hospital stay always commented on his size. It just didn't seem like I was "that" big while I was pregnant -- don't get me wrong, I was pretty huge (and gained PLENTY of weight), but my stomach never looked all that big in comparison to other pregnant women. Not only was his weight surprising, but his length was another surprise (22 1/4 inches). Chauncey mentioned to me several times while we were still in the hospital how long Collin was in comparison to other babies. I never really noticed, even though my doctor pointed it out a few times, too.
Anyway, today was a turning point for me. I was in the kitchen and Collin followed me in there and decided to play on the kitchen floor. A few minutes into his playing, he decided to stand up and bang on the pantry door. I didn't think much of it because it is pretty normal for him to stand up as long as he has something he can hold on to for balance. I kept looking over every few minutes to check on him when it finally hit me -- he was reaching up and actually grabbing the door knob. I had NO idea he was tall enough to reach the door knob. We haven't "child proofed" the door knobs yet and I thought we still had time before we needed to do it, but I guess I was wrong. :) Seeing him actually able to reach the door knob made me realize just how tall he really is. Lucky for us, he still doesn't really understand what the purpose of the door knob is for, so he doesn't know it will open the door if he turns it.
I guess I've always known Collin was big for his age -- considering I have to buy size 24-36 month clothes when he is not quite 9 months yet -- but it is still pretty unbelievable at times. :) I don't want to be one of those competitive moms that thinks her kid is better than everyone else, so I try to keep things in perspective. Of course, it's easy to become biased. :) I keep waiting for his growing to slow down some and for him to "level out" with the other kids his age, but so far, that isn't happening. We are so blessed to have such a healthy, beautiful baby boy.
I just wanted to share the story about the door knob. Maybe it's not as impressive to everyone else, but I was pretty impressed! :) Although, it never takes much for a mom to be impressed with her own child, right??
No comments:
Post a Comment