Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Collin gets his 1st cast...

Well, today is a first. Collin has a cast on his left arm. Yep, that's right, he has a cast. Most of you already know that Collin is 100% boy and he plays just as rough as any other little boy. Well, we have NO IDEA what he did to cause this injury. Late last night, after going to bed, he woke up and started complaining that his arm was hurting. We tried to touch it or get him to hold something in his hand and he didn't want to do that. After 30-45 minutes, we decided to go to the emergency room. After spending 3 hours in the ER, we were told that they couldn't find anything wrong. They put a sling on his arm and told us to follow up with a pediatric orthopedic doctor. So, first thing this morning I started making phone calls to get him an appointment somewhere. Fortunately, we were able to get one with Dr. Austin in the afternoon. She looked at the x-rays and didn't see anything. She did an examination on Collin and determined that he was either having a problem with the tendon in his elbow or had a broken bone that wasn't showing up on the x-ray. Either way, she wanted to put his arm in a cast. I was really surprised, but Collin didn't even cry as they wrapped his arm for the cast. He was such a big boy! He watched every move the guy made that was wrapping his arm. He didn't blink one time while watching his arm being wrapped. :)

We chose a red cast since daddy works at Germantown High School and they are the home of the Red Devils. We've already signed his cast and Collin seems to be adjusting just fine to it. I actually think he plans to use it as some sort of "weapon." :) He hasn't figured out that it's okay to move his fingers, but at least he seems to be out of pain with the cast stabilizing his arm. I am thankful for that! I can't stand to see him uncomfortable or in pain. As a parent, that is one of the hardest things to deal with!


Anyway, here is a (blurry) picture I took with my phone. I could barely get him to be still long enough to snap a photo, but I wanted to make sure we had this for the memory books when he gets older.


No comments: