I don't know what it is that attracts children to things they know they aren't supposed to touch, go near, play with, etc. Maybe it's the thrill of trying to get to it before we do or maybe whatever it is they are trying to do is so intriguing that they just can't resist -- even if they know a spanking is soon to follow. For some reason, Collin loves the trash can. He loves to pull things out of it and either try to put it in his mouth or throw it on the floor and keep digging until he finds something he likes. Yeah, I know, it's pretty disgusting. Fortunately, he's never really pulled too much out -- other than an occasional diaper or paper towel. He can stand at the trash can and look at us walking towards him and he just continues to dig in. Even when we spank him, he stops for a minute and then he goes back once he thinks we forgot about it. :)
What is really funny now is that when he knows we are headed over to spank his hand he takes the other hand and puts it in his mouth --- as if that's the one that hurts. You may find this surprising, but Collin rarely even cries when we spank him. It's like it doesn't even hurt. The top of his little hand will be just as red as can be and he goes about his business as if there is no problem. I don't believe the "hand spankings" bother him near as much as when we raise our voice. While I am on the subject, another thing that Collin will do when he is in trouble is duck down to try and get away from us. It's like he will just "fall out" to keep us from being able to reach him. :)
When it comes to Collin and Yukon, I have to tell everyone that we are very fortunate to have such a patient dog. Yukon is only a little over a year old, so he is still pretty selfish and still wants lots of attention from us. He has done so good, though with Collin. Now that Collin is bigger (and stronger) he tends to get a little rough with Yukon. Yukon never really seems to mind -- every once in a while Yukon gets carried away and plays a little rough back, but usually all we have to say is, "Yukon...be easy with him," and he stops. I often wonder if Yukon is thinking to himself, "why do they always tell me to be easy with him when he is the one beating me up!" Sometimes Collin will just start swinging his arms at Yukon (with a toy in his hand). I don't think he quite understands that he is "hitting" Yukon with the toy. The older Collin gets, the more I think Yukon will become attached to him. Right now, he still isn't quite sure if he should play with Collin or just let Collin "beat up" on him. Once Collin figures out that you can't eat Yukon's tail or pull his ears, Yukon will probably love playing with him. If any of you are ever considering owning a big dog and you have kids, I would definitely recommend a Great Dane. Yukon has been nothing but protective, gentle and playful with Collin.
One more thing before I wrap this post up. When I went to pick Collin up from daycare yesterday, they opened the door and as I was walking in, Collin was rounding the corner towards the front door (headed my direction). When he realized it was me, he started "running" towards me and was yelling at the top of his little lungs, "mama, mama!" It was the sweetest moment I've had with him in a while (at least a couple of weeks!). He was running so much that he started to lose his balance and fell right as he got to me. It was precious! If only they stayed that excited to see their parents when they get older! I am enjoying every moment with him because I know they will soon pass and I will only have them as cherised memories! It's hard to believe Collin will be 1 in just a couple of weeks. It's been an incredible journey this far --- I can only imagine what is in store for the Bland family as we venture through another year.
That's it for now....more posts soon.
No comments:
Post a Comment