Monday, January 19, 2009

Collin's 15 month checkup...

We took Collin to the doctor today for his 15 month checkup. As usual, we were surprised to learn how fast he is growing. He is reaching all of the developmental milestones for his age, such as saying words, pointing to things he wants, learning body parts, stacking blocks, etc. I am always anxious to find out if he is progressing the way he should be, so this is good news for me. I remember worrying about different things when Collin was a newborn and the older he got, the less I worried about those things. Now, I just worry about different things. As a mother, I guess you never really stop worrying. If I am in another room and I hear Collin start to cry all of the sudden, my heart starts pounding. If you are a mom, you know what I am talking about -- if you plan to be a mom soon, it is likely that you will experience these same feelings, too! :) It's hard to explain.

Anyway, on the physical side of things, Collin is definitely ahead of others his age. He measures in at a whopping 3 feet (actually just a little over 3 feet) and weighs 34 pounds 12 ounces. Hard to believe? Yeah, it was for us, too. How can a 15 month old be the same size as a 3-year old?? I am not quite sure where he gets it from either. Chauncey and I are both average-size adults. I am waiting on Collin's growing to "level out," but I guess it is just not time right now. He continues to grow like a weed!

On the behavior scale, Collin is definitely entering into the "terrible two" stage -- yep, just like everything else, he is ahead! He has figured out how to throw a temper tantrum when he doesn't get what he wants, scream when he is mad or doesn't want to do something, pull hair, bite, hit, snatch things when he doesn't want to share, the list goes on and on. I know it sounds like he is this wild, out-of-control kid, but he really isn't. The doctor claims (and from the research I've read) it is normal. He does things to see what kind of reaction he will get. So, we ignore the screaming temper tantrums and provide loving, but firm discipline when it comes to the hair pulling, hitting and biting. I think the biting is the one that really drives me crazy. It hurts! :) Those tiny little teeth can do some serious damage -- especially when you think he is coming to give you a hug and the next thing you know he is trying to bite a plug of out your arm! Despite all of the typical "toddler" behaviors, he really is an affectionate and sweet boy. It is so heart-warming when he just walks up to you and holds his arms out for you to pick him up -- all he wants to do is sit in your lap. He is funny and there is nothing more soothing than his cute laugh! I can be in the worst mood, but when I hear him start laughing it makes me forget about everything else. I love watching his personality develop and seeing him do new things. He is such a joy and a blessing! While the last 15 months have been, at one time or another, stressful, exhausting, and eye-opening, I wouldn't trade one moment of being Collin's mom for anything else. He is precious and the most amazing little boy! I am so thankful for him and the joy he brings to not only me, but everyone who knows him.

No comments: