Friday, February 13, 2009

It's all mom's fault...

I will take full responsibility for not updating the blog lately. I've actually been consistently busy at work and when I finally get a few minutes to update the blog, I just don't feel like it! I know, it's no excuse, but it's the truth. Anyway, let me update you on a few things going on with Collin since my last post. I have decided that Collin has a natural, innate talent to hear the "pop" of a soda can opening from anywhere in the house. Yes, it appears we have a 1-year old who is already succombing to the addictive taste of caffeine and/or carbonation. I am not so sure that it's the caffeine because he loves Sprite just as much as he loves Coca-Cola. I guess it's that "sting" he feels (judging by the look on his face) when he gets a big gulp! I have never seen a kid come running around the corner the way he does when he hears a drink open. It's actually pretty funny. Don't panic -- we do limit his intake. Another funny thing that Collin does these days is stand at the pantry door in the kitchen and say "cookie." I am fine with him having a cookie or two, but as you can imagine, he can put them down fast and he usually wants more than one or two! We've adjusted this practice by replacing his beloved cookie with a Ritz cracker or whole grain wheat cracker of some sort. He seems to like those, too. He does still get an occasional cookie, but not nearly like he was getting before! He is like most toddlers and doesn't want to sit still long enough to really "eat" anything of substance, so sometimes I am just happy that he will eat a cracker or a cookie. It is hard to tell whether or not he is going to be a "picky" eater since he won't stop running and playing long enough to really eat much. As a mom, this is so frustrating for me. He seems to eat really well at Ms. Amelia's during the week, but I think a lot of that has to do with the environment (well, and the fact that everything he eats there is practically homemade!). Seriously, I believe the environment plays a huge factor. When he sits at the table (yes, a little table with small chairs) like a big boy with all of the other kids to eat, I think it encourages him to eat. I wish I could get a picture of him eating at the table with the other kids. It's so cute. We had a parent meeting a few weeks ago and Ms. Amelia was gracious enough to cook dinner for everyone. After the meeting ended, the kids sat at their little table to eat. Chauncey and I looked over and there was Collin eating green beans with a spork! We didn't even know he would use a utensil to eat by himself! Of course, some of the green beans were on his shirt, some were on the floor, but amazingly, most of them were going straight into his mouth!! What a big boy!! I guess I am treating him too much like a baby -- I either give him "finger" type foods or portions of food that he can pick up with his fingers or I feed it to him myself. OOPS!

Collin is becoming increasingly more independent and developing the "I can do it by myself" attitude. He doesn't want a lot of help with anything, but he expects you to notice him struggling and offer some support when he needs it. For example, he loves to climb up on the couch and he usually has no problem with this feat. However, every once in a while he can't seem to get a good enough grip to pull himself up and he starts groaning and getting frustrated. If we are sitting on the couch during all of this he eventually stops and looks up at us as if to say, "are you going to just sit there and watch me struggle or are you going to help me??" Hey, we are just parents -- not mindreaders. And to be honest, I've learned very quickly how to tune out his groaning and whining. Now I see how my dad was able to read the newspaper or watch tv even while we were running around the house screaming or trying to talk to him! :) I think it's a skill that doesn't develop until you have your own children.

A little update on the "Collin-Yukon" relationship. Yukon is still pretty tolerable of Collin for the most part. He's learned to just get up and walk away when Collin starts messing with him. It seems that Collin waits right until Yukon falls asleep before he decides that he wants to mess with him. I don't know why, but Collin has started this little game of holding something out in his hand like he is going to give it to Yukon and then when Yukon gets close, he pulls it away. Collin laughs and thinks it's funny until Yukon actually grabs whatever it is and runs off! Then Collin will turn to us and scream and point at Yukon as if he is tattle-tailing. We usually just tell him to go get it from Yukon and giggle as we watch Collin try to chase him through the house. We have to do something for entertainment, right?! :) Overall, they do well together and we don't have any worries.

I guess that is it for now...I still have work that I need to do and I can't think of anything else that is worth mentioning. Hopefully, I will have time to update this more frequently!

1 comment:

The Fikes Family said...

hey i am so glad i have this now because before i couldn't leave comments but now i can. We go tomorrow for 4 month check up. Look up now much Collin weighed at 4 months i bet drake is 18 pounds!!!
love you
kt