Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Oh My Goodness!!!

I realize it has been nearly a month since I last updated Collin's blog, but I've just been busy with everyday life and when I finally have time to do it, I get lazy! Well, regardless of how lazy I feel like being right now, I have a story to tell that is too good to not share with everyone. The word "good" is relative -- you will understand more as you read the story.

I had to pick Collin up early from daycare today because they thought it looked like he might have pink eye. I was able to get him in to see his doctor and as it turns out, he has pink eye and two ear infections. We made a quick stop at Walgreens to drop off the prescription and headed home. Obviously, we were at home a lot earlier than usual so I decided to give Collin his bath early and hopefully get my "nightly" chores done earlier than usual. By the time I finished Collin's bath, Chauncey was home. We've been needing to put new light bulbs outside by our front door for about a week now, so we decided today would be a good day. Don't ask me why, but we've been "tight" with our money so we've yet to buy a MUCH needed ladder! It looks like a side show watching us change the light bulbs. We take our ottoman, a step stool and a phone book outside to use in place of a ladder. Yeah, I know, that alone is enough to make this story hilarious. :) As I stand outside and hold the phone book that is stacked on top of step stool that is stacked on top of the ottoman, Collin stands in the doorway and watches. As we wrestled with changing the light bulbs, Collin patiently stands on the other side of the storm door -- banging his head against it, hitting it, smashing his nose against it, etc. I was just happy he was standing there and not wandering around in the house. At least I could keep an eye on him while we worked with the light. As we wrapped things up, I reached for the handle to open the storm door and go inside...it was locked!!! I could feel my heart starting to beat a little faster...I pulled the handle again just to be sure it was locked. Yep, it was definitely locked. Collin stood on the other side looking at me and Chauncey like we were crazy. I asked Chauncey what we needed to do. Yukon was outside in the backyard, so Chauncey thought we may have left the back door unlocked when we let him outside. Chauncey ran to the side of the house and jumped the fence. No luck. The back door was locked. We didn't have our cellphones. He went across the street to our neighbors house to use the phone. They weren't home. Are you kidding me?? Now I am really freaking out. I am trying to remain calm so that Collin remains calm. Chauncey went a little further down our street to a different neighbor's house and fortunately they were home. He called his parents and explained the situation. Of course, panic hit them, too when they realized Collin was in the house alone and we were outside. I sat on the ottoman (aka ladder) and tried to keep Collin busy. We played "give me a kiss" through the glass door, "give me a high 5," "peek-a-boo," and everything else I could think of. We had a few of his books in the ottoman, so I tried to show him the pictures and talk about the books to keep him busy. It worked for a little while. Collin knew to grab the knob to open the door, but did not know how to unlock it. He would grab the knob for the lock, but kept turning it the wrong way. Chauncey and I were both pointing at the "unlock" knob and trying to show him how to turn it. No luck. At one point, I told Collin to turn the knob and he said, "uhhh no!" He even turned his back to us and sat down. I wanted to laugh, but I was still so nervous that I couldn't laugh.

Finally, after about 45 minutes from the time the whole ordeal started, Chauncey's parents showed up with the key. The 5 o'clock traffic definitely didn't help speed their travel time up. Chauncey got the key from his parents and hopped the fence to open the back door. RELIEF! I was so relieved that I wasn't sure if I wanted to laugh or cry -- ever had that feeling?? :) Chauncey's mom said she rushed and was trying her best to get here as fast as possible -- she left the house in such a rush that she had on mix match tennis shoes! His dad had on his houseshoes! So, what have Chauncey and I learned from all of this? I guess a few things. First, Collin is smart enough to lock the door! Second, we need to invest in a ladder so he can change the light bulbs outside without my help. Third, when you get in a tough situation the best thing is not to panic. I have to admit, I may not have been panicking on the outside, but I was scared to to death on the inside!!!!!

Now that we are ALL inside, it's pretty funny to think about the whole situation. It will be funny to tell Collin about it when he gets older. He didn't have a clue that anything was wrong -- fortunately for us! Now, let's just hope child protective services doesn't show up on our doorstep with a report from a neighbor saying we are terrible parents!!! :)

No comments: